Artist Statement
Jonathan Charles
Professor
Film 160
Sept. 12, 2019
Artist
Statement
I’ve
only been in the film world for about 2 months now, but I’ve been in love with
it my whole. My prize possessions in middle school were the VHS tapes in my
mother’s broken dresser drawer. I wasn’t allowed to go outside, so I would
watch them endlessly until my family finally upgraded to cable. I’ve spent most
of my free time watching anything from movies and tv shows to YouTube
highlights and music videos. I’m currently a videographer, which means I shoot
practically anything. I’ve shot and edited music videos, promo videos, events,
and even highlight tapes. I love the process of it all, but I have trouble
executing my visions. I don’t want to consider myself as a videographer, I want
to be a director. I mostly aspire to
work primarily in film, but also take on music video projects, documentaries,
and a little bit of the commercial work.
I’ve
been studying a lot on the art of cinematography and storytelling. When it
comes to directing, Ryan Coogler and Christopher Nolan have inspired me. With
Christopher Nolan, it’s his non-linear sequential story timelines and his use
of cuts to build the story makes me love his work. With Ryan Coogler, he
inspired me the most through hearing how he spoke and sound. When I hear him, I
can hear myself. I’ve always thought that the director was probably some major
intellectual and spoke like a professor but hearing how Ryan Coogler speaks and
explain his story makes me believe I can be a director someday.
As of
right now, all I want to have is clean visuals with strong cinematography
fundamentals. As I grow on my journey and get into the film world, I want to
tell dramatic nonfiction stories. They might not necessarily be my personal
stories, but they’re I’ve seen and heard of and believe that they should be
told. I want the setting of these stories to take place in urban environments
and the plots to be driven by family/relationships, no matter the time. The
reason why I’m attracted to making these stories is that that’s what I’ve grown
up observing. It’s the only types of stories I know.
Comments
Post a Comment