Soundwalk
I believe that I live in the most diverse part of New York, Brooklyn. It seems that every 1-2 miles Brooklyn drastically changes, from the type of people, types of house, and more distantly, sound. It can go from loud and hectic to quiet and peaceful in a short distance. I chose to write my soundwalk assignment on the neighborhood I spend most of my time on the street going/ coming to school and work, Flatbush.
It's a mid-day afternoon during a weekday. I hear the wind move pass my ears. Not only do you feel the energy and commotion in the air, but you could also hear it. Anyone who's been in the neighborhood at least once would know where they are. I hear dollar van drivers scream from a corner "Dolla van dolla van". I hear the kids and teenagers on the street talking, laughing, and running. I hear a police siren or ambulance sirens echoing in the background from afar. The prevalent sounds that I was hearing were coming from the vehicles passing through the street. It was rush hour, so I heard a lot of sounds from every type of vehicle. I heard humming coming from the bus as well as the distinctive sound that comes off when the bus drivers open and closes the door from the use of the hydraulics. Cars’ engines stopping, starting, and honking also swelled the air. All these sounds together seem chaotic or a lot to listen to after a long day, but to me it’s comforting. It tells me I’m not too far from home.
Comments
Post a Comment